Focused and Effective
1-on-1 coaching is an effective method of working with an individual when working in a group or team coaching setting is not the best option. The focus of 1-on-1 coaching is geared toward a specific need for improvement.
Typical components of 1-on-1 coaching
Programs are customized to the specific needs of the participant. Components of successful engagement include the following.
- The participant must be open to the experience. If they participate because they “have to,” it greatly reduces the likelihood of the desired transformation.
- The participant should know the expected employer outcomes if an employer sponsors the engagement.
- 1-on-1 engagements generally include self-assessments to create a foundation for learning and may include a 360-type assessment to build confidence.
Project duration and time commitment vary based on the scope.
- 1-on-1 engagements can range from 3 months to multi-year, most lasting between 3 and 6 months.
- Coaching calls are generally virtual every other week. Mature engagements longer than 6 to 9 months will often reduce the coaching calls to every 4 to 6 weeks.